Wednesday 28 March 2012

Monet's Water Lillies

SAM_0045


Way back when I started spinning, I did what most spinners did, started with cheap commercial fibre, getting the hang of spinning with that before going on to the pretty hand painted braids that are available from indie dyers everywhere. But even so, I coveted the nice pretty braids, and took the plunge and bought this Shetland braid from Yummy Yarns UK (picture used with permission):

il_fullxfull.203121094


It was stored away safe until the time when I felt confident enough to give it a try. The Shetland was a deliberate choice, with a long staple length that should suit a beginner, help me get started. And it was only a month or two after I got my first spindle, that I dared to give this a try, and it became the singles you saw above. I was incredibly pleased with what I had managed in my first 'proper' spinning. Proper meaning something intentionally thin, with fancy hand painted tops. And I took the plunge and plied it too:

SAM_0056


The final yarn was something I was incredibly proud of, 525m of light fingering two ply, and frankly I surprised myself. And I knew straight away what I wanted to do with it. I wanted it to become a Photosynthesis. BUT, of course there is a but, I didn't feel that I was a good enough knitter yet, so it got stashed away till a time when I felt better capable to handle it.

So the time has come and I felt brave enough. So over the course of ten days, I got into the pattern and got knitting. And the end result is wonderful. Something finally worthy of my first spinning.

SAM_0704

A bit of a milestone FO really, getting it knit up into something so nice, and I am more than a little pleased with myself I can admit. Its certainly a milestone piece for me, coming to the end of this fibre's journey. Its given me some momentum back for my spinning again and I am currently plying another yarn. So watch this space!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful (again), the journey from fibre to finished shawl is amazing. Great Job. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hon. Its nice to get some things finished when I am feeling constantly tired. This one gave me a real lift.

      Delete
  2. Gosh that shawl is quite something - well done you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is truly stunning, you must be ridiculously proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am very pleased yes, and there is great satisfaction in having come full circle with my first 'real' yarn.

      Delete