The pattern she chose was the Japanese Feather and Fan shawl by IzzyKnits. A lovely pattern, but one I wanted to enlarge some, and spent some time scratching my head about how to do it. But I did figure it out, and if anyone wants to know how, I made notes on my project in Ravelry. Feel free to use my adaptations!
It was a lovely pattern to work, quite easy compared to some I have work, but amazingly effective. Though by the time I had enlarged it and got to the border I had nearly 770 stitches on the needle! The rows took some time to complete then. But totally worth it. I cast off a few days ago, then to blocking.
Blocking is an interesting process, as it really makes lace shine when you hard block. Though soaking your knit then stretching it out to within an inch of its life takes some courage the first time you do it. Here's the shawl on the blocking mats:
Not the best view of it, but perhaps this before and after will give an idea of the difference the process makes.
All bumpy, curly and bunched up
And in close up, before:
It makes a huge difference and makes it look so much more polished.
I am immensely pleased with it, and about to send it off to my bride to be very soon, and I really hope she loves it and it keeps her warm on her special day. Its been knit with love in every stitch, and hope for a long and happy marriage. A great big hug from me when I can't be there! So there it is finally, the special big shawl I have been working on.
Now onto the next project, a dress for my little miss!
Till next time!